I’ll be the first to admit, I’m a bit of a picky-pants when it comes to events. After working in the events biz and having planned, executed, and attended so many of them, I tend to notice the attention to detail (or lack thereof, in some cases). Which is why I want to recognize a job well done – Cheers to You, Meet the Makers Expo!
Presented this past weekend by the Strathcona Business Improvement Association, attendees gathered at MakerLabs to celebrate the innovative businesses in the Strathcona community. With over 13 vendors showcasing their businesses ranging from catering, to coffee, to art, it provided a wonderful opportunity to sample bites and chat with business owners.
- Sizeable bites: We kicked off our culinary sampling with a mini take-out box of kale & soba salad from Ed’s Daily, takoyaki (Japanese octopus ball snack) prepared right on the spot by Savoury Chef, and a top-your-own-taco by The Butler Did It Catering. But the end of all the nibbles, I was so full that I didn’t even need lunch.
- Beer Garden: Speaking of generous portions, Postmark Brewing was sampling three of their beers, and Pat’s Pub & Brewhouse was serving pulled pork and their signature Pat’s Classic Lager.
- Tickets: They capped attendance at 600 eventbrite tickets which meant a comfortable flow and number of people – it was definitely busy, but by no means a free-for-all.
- Tables & Seating: There were plenty of areas to perch and sit to enjoy the snacks while watching the demos.
- Garbage Cans: Seriously, one of the most underrated event essentials. Plenty of volunteers were on hand to help attendees sort their disposals into organics, paper, or garbage.
Overall, the event was well produced, organized, and completely exceeded my expectations. I was amazed by the diversity that Strathcona has to offer and can’t wait until the next one!